with Sean Duggan
Essential Photography & Processing Techniques
November 4, 2017, 9:30am – 4:30pm
Class size is limited to 12 people. $95 / FAQ
Sean Duggan Photographics
Join the host of Mobile Photography Weekly and the co-author of The Creative Digital Darkroom, Photoshop Masking & Compositing, and Real World Digital Photography for an inspiring and informative 1-day workshop where you'll learn how to get the most out of the photographic possibilities of the iPhone (what if I have an Android phone?). This class will focus on both photographic technique (i.e., using the iPhone as a camera and not as a camera phone), and some of that many options that are available with photo processing apps.
We’ll start off by taking a look at both the strengths and the weaknesses of the iPhone as camera. Once you know this about a particular tool, you can use it more effectively. We'll review photographic principles for getting the best images possible. Included in this discussion will be adjusting the exposure before you take the shot, using High Dynamic Range (HDR) for scenes with high contrast, using longer shutter speeds to blur motion in the scene, and working with multiple shots for collage work. We’ll also take a look at some fundamental photo apps for image processing, and developing a sound processing workflow for "app-stacking", where an image is processed in different photo apps for specific reasons.
Some of the Key Topics to be Covered:
• Understanding the strengths and limitations of camera phones
• Developing your “Spidey Sense” for scenes that work well for iPhoneography
• Creative exposure techniques; (adjusting exposureto suit the scene, and when to use an HDR app)
• Seeing the Light: understanding light and how to work with it and around it for better photos
• Diptychs & triptychs
• Using layers and layer masks for more refined creative control
• Multiple image composites: Double exposures, simple image blends, & more intricate composites
• "Special Effects”: Textures, creative filters and moving beyond canned app effects
• Finding and developing a personal style
Requirements: Participants should bring their iPhone or iPad. The iPhone I will use to demo techniques and apps will be running the latest version of iOS 11. iOS 11 is not required for your device, but some newer apps may not work, or may not be available, if you have an older version of the iOS operating system installed on your phone. If you have any questions about this, feel free to call (530-477-8494) or send me an email. Some of the apps we will explore are free, but others are not. If you choose to purchase and download any of the apps shown in class, you can expect to pay an additional $15 to $25 on app purchases (depending on how many you get). Make sure you know your Apple I.D. password so you can purchase apps in class.
All images on this page were photographed and edited on various iPhones that I've had over the years.
Follow this link to see more of my iPhone composites and collages.